Thursday, October 7, 2010

All about Pullman

When I first moved to Pullman, I wanted to do nothing more than write a blog about the things that sucked about it. While this would have fit in very nicely with my sour mood last spring, it's probably good that I didn't go through with it. The reality is, Pullman only MOSTLY sucks. This fall, I've been discovering all kinds of things that are kind of fun and make life here a little more pleasant. Now, keep in mind, as winter approaches and the snow comes and my windshield is frozen over every morning, I'll be much crankier. However, I intend to savor the nice things while I have the chance!

If I actually continue with this blog, my current posting theme will be about the good and bad that comes with living in Pullman. Ideally, if I keep this thing going forever, I will one day write about travel and other adventures that are substantially more exciting than mini-donuts and corn mazes. However, with limited funds, limited time and the requirement that I live in the middle of nowhere, I will commence with writing about life's smallest joys.

Post 1: Mini-donuts

Pullman is all about the mini-donuts. I encountered them for the first time in my life on College Hill (translation: frat-land) after a night of joyous celebration for our only football win of the season. They were greasy, a terrible value and absolutely delicious! I thought that this was just rural Washington's interpretation of post-bar street food until two weeks ago when I encountered them again! This time it was at the Saturday morning farmer's market in Moscow, ID (Pullman's better half). The donuts were still greasy and a terrible value. They were...well, delicious, but less so than on the previous occasion where I had been drinking since noon. What really surprised me was that these mini-donuts were sold by a completely different vendor than than the College Hill mini-donuts. How many mini-donut people can there be? And why have I never seen them before in any city? What really struck me is that when I was reading about the local corn maze today (that's right, I'm going to a corn maze), they mentioned that they have mini-donut vendors as well! It's a mini-donut epidemic! Pullman, I approve!

No comments: